The U.S. and allied governments have supported Ukraine with aid and military equipment, and are blaming Putin for the violence ― but have been clear they do not intend to fight Russia on Ukrainian soil. They are focused on using economic pain to make Putin change course, news and advance and the coming days will show whether their policy will have an impact. The value of Russia’s currency hit record lows on Monday, and Western governments are planning to begin confiscating the foreign assets of wealthy Russians close to the Moscow leadership.
- Human rights office says at least 227 civilians have been killed and 525 wounded in Ukraine since the start of the invasion on Feb. 24.
- In a video address to the nation earlier in the day, Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelenskyy called on Ukrainians to keep up their resistance as the war rages on for an eighth day.
- A group of companies, including BCE Inc., Telus Corp., Rogers Communications Inc. and Shaw Communications, said they would not charge any fees until the end of March for calls to the country.
- Residents of Kyiv have been bracing for a Russian convoy en route to the capital.
Canada will be supplying Ukraine with anti-tank weapons systems, upgraded ammunition and is banning all imports of crude oil from Russia. Prime Minister Justin Trudeau says the shipments are in addition to the three previous shipments of lethal and non-lethal equipment. Canada announced this week it would be sending new shipments of military supplies, including body armour, helmets, gas masks, and news anchor night-vision goggles. Trudeau called for the end of the war, saying its costs would only grow steeper and that those responsible will be held accountable. Russia’s Permanent Representative to the United Nations Vasily Nebenzya on Monday said the Russian Defence Ministry has confirmed that all peaceful citizens of Kyiv can leave without hindrance via Kyiv-Vasilkov road which is open and safe.
Proponents of removing Russia from the Swift payment system argue that doing so would cause more damage to the Russian economy than targeted sanctions can. Prime Minister Boris Johnson has pressed for Russia’s removal from Swift, but some allies, including the U.S. and Germany, have so far resisted taking that step. These decisions were adopted by the Bureau of the FIFA Council and the Executive Committee of UEFA, respectively the highest decision-making bodies of both institutions on such urgent matters. The United States appealed to its citizens to leave Russia immediately amind the ongoing conflict between Russia and Ukraine. The international organization called on Russia to immediately end fighting in Ukraine. NATO now totals 30 members, including 14 European countries that have been added over the past two decades.
- Biden promised united and decisive responses by the United States and its allies.
- Le Drian told French television station BFMTV on Monday that Ambassador Etienne de Poncins would remain in Ukraine.
- “Ukrainian radicals are placing their attack weaponry in residential areas, which is a direct violation of international humanitarian law… Russia did not start the war, it’s trying to end it. Ukraine started it in 2014,” he added.
- Mr. Zelensky also spoke by phone with President Biden for about 40 minutes late Friday.
- The first round of Ukraine-Russia talks aimed at ending the fighting between Moscow and its smaller neighbour concluded with no immediate agreements.
The Defenders of the Fatherland Day, celebrated in Russia on Feb. 23, honors the nation’s military and is a nationwide holiday. Freeland, who worked as a journalist in Russia and the region for years before politics, argued that western democracies have yet to run out of sanctioning firepower. OTTAWA, Ont. — The G-7 is poised to unleash more sanctions against Russia — even at a cost to their own economies, Canadian Deputy Prime Minister Chrystia Freeland said Tuesday. Members of Congress wear blue and yellow at Biden’s State of the Union speech in solidarity with the people of Ukraine.
On Monday, a convoy consisting of hundreds of armoured vehicles, tanks, artillery and support vehicles was just 17 miles from the centre of Kyiv. The images from Maxar Technologies also captured signs of fighting outside Kyiv, including destroyed vehicles and a damaged bridge. After dark on Friday, Mr. Zelensky released a video of himself standing in front of the presidential headquarters in central Kyiv with his chief of staff, the country’s prime minister, and the parliament majority leader. And that’s how it will be,” he said, as Russian media spread rumors of him having fled the city. The country’s embattled president said the stepped-up shelling was aimed at forcing him into concessions. Biden administration officials say their goal is not to oust Putin from power, but rather to make it impossible for him to ignore public sentiment and continue his increasingly brutal invasion.
Liquor-retail monopolies in the east-coast provinces of Newfoundland and Labrador as well as Nova Scotia also started Friday to remove Russian spirits. Quebec’s liquor-retail agency, Société des Alcools du Québec, or SAQ, said via its Twitter account that it has no plans to restock the 10 Russian products it currently carries on its shelves. Canada also announced further sanctions on Friday targeting Russian President Vladimir Putin, Mr. Putin’s chief of staff, and Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov, as well as sanctions on dozens news russia of individuals in Belarus. Excluding Russian banks from Swift would make it even more difficult for President Putin to finance his brutality,” Mr. Trudeau said in a press conference on Friday. Despite the overture, Russian President Vladimir Putin Friday excoriated Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky and his government, comparing them to terrorists. News Corp is a global, diversified media and information services company focused on creating and distributing authoritative and engaging content and other products and services.
- Two crew members, including the captain, were in critical condition, the Ukrainian ministry said.
- Biden waived sanctions last year when the project was almost completed, in return for an agreement from Germany to take action against Russia if it used gas as a weapon or attacked Ukraine.
- Ukrainian-born congresswoman Victoria Spartz accused Russia of the ‘extermination’ of Ukrainian people as the Russia-Ukraine war rages on.
- As Russia continues to wreak havoc in Ukraine, the Western nations have stood stern on their ground to impose the biggest sanctions against Moscow.
- “Krugman’s models are a basis for the bloc’s architectonics, and for the union , Ukraine and Uzbekistan need to be included.
Wouldn’t it have been easier for Putin to invade Ukraine when Trump was president? The United States had abdicated its traditional leadership role in global alliances and left much of the rest of the world open to expanded Chinese and Russian influence. Plus, NATO had already expanded eastward to Russia’s borders, and the Kremlin already controlled Crimea and had proxies in the Donbas.
A woman and child, fleeing from Ukraine, sit next to a cot in a shelter designed for women and children at the train station in Przemysl, Poland, Thursday, March 3, 2022. Children, fleeing from Ukraine,play in a shelter designed newsela for women and children at the train station in Przemysl, Poland, Thursday, March 3, 2022. The Russians spent much of the weekend attacking Kyiv and advancing toward the city, which is home to more than 2 million people.
Ukraine’s State Emergency Service has said more than 2,000 civilians have died, though it’s impossible to verify the claim. The EU Commission says it will give temporary residence permits to refugees fleeing the violence and allow them to study and work in the 27-nation bloc. The move would need the approval of member states, which have already expressed broad support. Refugee agency has predicted that up to 4 million people could eventually leave Ukraine, a country with a population of 44 million. Russian forces have also been bombarding the country’s second-biggest city, Kharkiv.