WGN America’s future as an outlet for old broadcast network hits such as “JAG” and “In the Heat of the Night” was considered bleak due to the growing number of viewers turning to streaming services for scripted entertainment programs. Under Tribune’s management, the channel attempted an expensive foray into original series programming several years ago, which was a financial disaster for the company. Donlon, a well-liked local Chicago anchor at WGN before joining NewsNation, was assigned to “The Donlon Report,” an hourlong news nation show that features talking heads debating hot button issues. The network also hired Ashleigh Banfield, a veteran of CNN and MSNBC, to host a nightly newsmaker interview program at 10 p.m. Shine, who oversaw the highly successful prime-time opinion shows at Fox News, is involved in both programs. Faced with the challenge of low viewership for its prime-time newscast, NewsNation has added talk shows to its lineup, a route taken by other cable news channels to get viewers to tune in when there is a lull in breaking stories.
- All of Gov. Glenn Youngkin’s Cabinet nominees secured final legislative approval Wednesday except for Andrew Wheeler, the former U.S.
- March 2, 2022 • Prosecutors laid out their case against Guy Reffitt, who is the first defendant connected to the Jan. 6 Capitol insurrection to face trial.
- The document does not say exactly how much this figure consists of Russian products specifically.
- In March, WGN America changed its name to NewsNation, and currently has five hours of news programming a night, which is repeated for West Coast viewers.
- KHARKIV, Ukraine — In the dust, debris and the dead lying in Kharkiv’s central Freedom Square, Ukrainians on Tuesday saw what might become of other cities if Russia’s invasion isn’t countered in time.
Lyons’ departure in March after overseeing a launch that required building a staff of more than 150 people was a blow to morale at the operation, according to one former Nexstar employee who spoke on condition of anonymity for fear of retaliation. Lyons was a long-admired figure in local Chicago media, and her stature helped attract on-air talent and other news professionals in the market to join NewsNation. The local monkey population is at crisis levels and it is time for Government to institute an immediate cull to reduce numbers. That was the call made by chief executive officer of the Barbados Agricultural Society , James Paul during a press… Eager journalists from across the country signed on, some of them moving with their families from far away. But now, six months after its debut, “NewsNation” has abysmal ratings and disaffected staff members who say it has not lived up to Mr. Compton’s billing.
- Six people at the network, who spoke on the condition of anonymity to reveal internal discussions, said “NewsNation” has increasingly become a venue for right-wing views.
- “President Trump is absolutely correct that the election results are in doubt,” she said on the show.
- The action comes five days after Russia invaded its smaller neighbor, touching off widespread international condemnation and offers of military assistance from the 27-member nation EU and elsewhere.
Capitol for months after the January 2021 insurrection will be put back up before President Joe Biden’s State of the Union address. New York City Mayor Eric Adams announced Sunday that a dramatic drop in coronavirus infections could lead to the lifting of vaccine mandates on restaurants, bars and theaters as soon as March 7. Kansas City Police Chief Richard Smith fears the inflammatory rhetoric directed toward police in recent years has made it more difficult to recruit and retain talent. “We’re gonna do everything that we possibly can to support the Ukrainian people,” Rep. Billy Long said during an appearance on “Morning in America”.
- February 28, 2022 • The Estée Lauder Companies said John Demsey was informed he must “leave the company, effective this week.” The senior executive was with the company for 31 years.
- People are out to party as New Orleans’ first full-dress Mardi Gras since 2020 dawns Tuesday, with a day of back-to-back parades through the city and masks against COVID-19 required only in indoor public spaces.
- CHICAGO — Grain futures were higher on Tuesday in early trading on the Chicago Board of Trade.
- She is expected to be one of the anchors for a NewsNation morning program.
Republican Gov. Greg Abbott will face Democrat Beto O’Rourke after voters in Texas opened what could be a lengthy, bruising primary season poised to reshape political power from state capitals to Washington. People are out to party as New Orleans’ first full-dress Mardi Gras since 2020 dawns Tuesday, with a day of back-to-back parades through the city and masks against COVID-19 required only in indoor news articles public spaces. WASHINGTON — President Joe Biden’s nomination of Judge Ketanji Brown Jackson to the Supreme Court has launched what Democrats hope will be a quick, bipartisan confirmation process for the court’s first Black woman. Texas Republican Gov. Greg Abbott easily bested a group of right-wing challengers to lock up his party’s nomination Tuesday, and will face Democrat Beto O’Rourke in November.
Producers and writers with experience at Fox News, CNN and MSNBC came on board earlier this year to work on Donlon’s new program. Until the article appeared, the staff did not know about his involvement, the six people said. Florida Gov. Ron DeSantis, a fierce opponent of coronavirus mask and vaccine mandates, grew visibly annoyed and admonished a group of students for wearing face masks at a news conference newsmax live Wednesday. Apart from the primetime newscast, WGN America plans to offer updates and content 24 hours a day on its website and mobile apps. While Chicagoland viewers can view WGN’s local newscasts over the air, on cable or satellite, this channel will not carry “NewsNation” — although, like all of Nexstar Media Group’s 100 plus newsrooms, it is expected to contribute content to the program.
Company executives have described NewsNation as “self-funding,” as the conversion to news is taking the cost of entertainment programming off its books. Advertisers are also willing to pay more to run commercials on live original programs than sitcoms and drama repeats, the company has said. Nexstar had a strong year financially, reporting free cash flow of $1.3 billion in 2020, a 100% increase over 2018; TV stations typically see a boon from political advertising in election years.