“L” stands for how many games were lost in regulation time, and “OTL” or “OL” tells you how many games were lost in overtime or in a shootout. As well as participating in the above international club competitions, the NHL and the National Hockey League Players’ Association organizes the World Cup of Hockey. Unlike the Ice Hockey World Championships and the Olympic tournament, both run by the International Ice Hockey Federation, the World Cup of Hockey is played under michigan basketball NHL rules and not those of the IIHF. Players, coaches, officials, and team builders who have had notable careers are eligible to be voted into the Hockey Hall of Fame. Players cannot enter until three years have passed since their last professional game, currently tied with the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame for the shortest such time period of any major sport. One unique consequence has been Hall of Fame members coming out of retirement to play once more.
It measures 200 feet (60.96 m) by 85 feet (25.91 m) in the NHL, approximately the same length but much narrower than International Ice Hockey Federation standards. The centre line divides the ice in half, and is used to judge icing violations. There are two blue lines that divide the rink roughly into thirds, delineating one neutral and two attacking zones. Near the nfl games today end of both ends of the rink, there is a thin red goal line spanning the width of the ice, which is used to judge goals and icing calls. Player safety has become a major issue in the NHL, with concussions resulting from a hard hit to the head being the primary concern. Recent studies have shown how the consequences of concussions can last beyond player retirement.
In 1945, Maurice “Rocket” Richard became the first player to score 50 goals, doing so in a 50-game season. Richard later led the Canadiens to five consecutive titles between 1956 and 1960, a record no team has matched. “Last 10” or “L10” tells nfl standings you the team’s record over the last 10 games, expressed as W-L-OTL. “STK” or “ST” is the team’s current streak of consecutive wins or losses. “GFA” is the average goals scored per game, while “GAA” is the average goals allowed per game.
- The greater number of points earned in games against each other among two or more tied clubs.
- In the Conference Finals and Stanley Cup Final, home-ice advantage goes to the team that had the better regular-season record – regardless of the teams’ final standing in their respective divisions.
- From 1998 to 2014, during the quadrennial Winter Olympic years, the NHL suspended its all-star game and expanded the traditional all-star break to allow NHL players to represent their countries in the Olympic ice hockey tournament.
- On January 12, the league and the Players’ Association signed a memorandum of understanding on the new deal, allowing teams to begin their training camps the next day, with a shortened 48-game season schedule that began on January 19.
In the Conference Finals and Stanley Cup Final, home-ice advantage goes to the team that had the better regular-season record – regardless of the teams’ final standing in their respective divisions. The NHL is considered one of the four major professional sports leagues in North America, along with Major League Baseball, the National Football League, and boxing the National Basketball Association. The league is very prominent in Canada, where it is the most popular of these four leagues. Overall, hockey has the smallest total fan base of the four leagues, the smallest revenue from television, and the least sponsorship. The 2021–22 season marks the first year of seven-year agreements with ESPN and Turner Sports.
- Hockey Night in Canada was maintained and expanded under the deal, airing up to seven games nationally on Saturday nights throughout the regular season.
- However, national telecasts of these games are blacked out in the participating teams’ markets to protect the local broadcaster.
- Many of these same corporate partners become the title sponsors for the league’s All-Star and outdoor games.
- This has significant effects on the league, as elite players have suffered from the aftereffects of concussions , which adversely affects the league’s marketability.
Since 2013, the league has used hybrid icing, where a linesman stops play due to icing if a defending player crosses the imaginary line that connects the two face-off dots in their defensive zone before an attacking player is able to. This was done to counter a trend of player injury in races to the puck. From 1952 to 1955, Marguerite Norris served as president of the Detroit Red Wings, being the first female NHL executive and the first woman to have her name engraved on the Stanley Cup. In 1992, Manon Rheaume became the first woman to play a game in any of the major professional North American sports leagues, as a goaltender for the Tampa Bay Lightning in a pre-season game against the St. Louis Blues, stopping seven of nine shots. In 2016, Dawn Braid was hired as the Arizona Coyotes’ skating coach, making her the first female full-time coach in the NHL. The first female referees in the NHL were hired in a test-run during the league’s preseason prospect tournaments in September 2019.